Shocked. Horrified. Paralyzed. This is how many women describe their feelings about America’s recent revolutionary uprising against racism.
If you’re White, this may be especially true – because it feels so surprising. To Black women and many women of color, though, it is deeply saddening, infuriating, exhausting, everyday real life.
The wellness industry overall has been silent calling out and uprooting the systemic racism we’ve all seen in living color recently – presumably because it’s sees itself as a positive, “safe space” to escape from the negativity in the news.
You, too, might think that there’s no place for this here, on a self-care podcast.
I mean, what does wellness have to do with being racist? Everything. Who are the people who can transform the problem? Every one of us.
Episode 136 of the podcast explores how you’re ready to add this work into your care ritual collection, because:
- When you’re committed to your wellness, you understand the impact the outside world has on you – and how your beliefs and actions impact the outside world. You’re more likely to be caring, compassionate, and conscious of your emotions, triggers and fears.
- This gives you a strong foundation for being able to see your own prejudices, with less judgment and more curiosity.
- It helps you notice how you’re [unconsciously] upholding systemic racial undertones in your own family and community.
- It also helps you find relief from the paralysis (and guilt) of not doing anything – and helps you metabolize internalized anger.
- Your care plan is there to support and give you a soft place to fall along your way.
It won’t be easy or rainbows, though. You may be more likely contract into blame, shame or shutdown, because you’re so in touch with emotion. Unlocking this part of yourself will be uncomfortable, and lifelong.
But I deeply encourage you expand into your courage, and do this incredible, deep work. You’ll be even better equipped to dismantle the impacts of systematic racism – both clearly horrendous and quietly hidden.
Here’s a quick look inside:
- 1:40 – Learn to easily spot White emphasis in wellness to the exclusion of others
- 2:06 – How to expand, not contract, your self-care with social awareness and activism (especially if you’re a wellness professional)
- 3:32 – Use today’s discomfort to unlock your true well-being
- 4:03 – Your call-to-action for collective wellness
- 6:04 – 3 ways to contribute to collective wellness – of your family and our world – today
Mentioned in this episode:
Children’s books not mentioned but relevant for this episode:
Did you enjoy this episode? Please rate and review the podcast!
If you learned, liked or (woohoo!) loved this episode, please take 20 seconds to rate and review it. This helps SO MUCH to share more strategies, stories and self-care tips with women like you. It’s super-easy to do: just click here, scroll to the bottom, tap the “five star” rating, and select “Write a Review” to let me and other mamas know what you enjoy most. And be sure to subscribe to the podcast while you’re there so that you don’t miss any future episodes or updates!